Small Business Saturday, The Christmas Tree

Pretty much everyone has heard of Black Friday. And many people have heard of Cyber Monday. But "Small Business Saturday" is a new retail campaign that's just getting started. I'm a big fan of Small Business Saturday because I believe in buying local and supporting the Michigan economy. So yesterday, the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I went shopping. Locally.

I'd been meaning to get out to see The Christmas Tree shop in Benton Harbor for some time now but I just never made time to do it. Until yesterday. Yesterday I made a point of driving out to The Christmas Tree shop to see what the store had to offer. I already have my Christmas tree up and decorated. The theme is "St Joseph". I have lots of nautical and carousel ornaments, a few Chicago, St Joseph, and Saugatuck ornaments, a handful of beachy ornaments, and a nice collection of glass balls to add to the mix. I'm always on the lookout for more ornaments in keeping with my theme and that's what I had in mind to look for at The Christmas Tree.

The Christmas Tree is located 4 miles north of St Joseph on M-63 (at the blinking light intersection, Paw Paw Ave/Mizpah Park Rd. make a left heading west and it's on your right).

When you enter the building and turn to your right you'll enter the Christmasy side of the shop.

You can browse for a good long time here because there are lots of interesting displays.

Some are arranged by style, some by color.

They have a large selection of ornaments, lights, and home decor, all moderately priced. One thing I really appreciated was that they didn't carry the same ole, same ole displays you see in the retail chain stores... Hallmark, Thomas Kincaid, Christopher Radko, etc. They had a nice eclectic selection of items, many I hadn't seen before.

And check this out, they even had a couple upside down Christmas trees! Very cool!

If you're interested in shopping for gifts, or non Christmas decor,  make a left as you enter the shop...


There's something for everyone! But wait, there's more... keep going and you'll come into the room of tasty treats!


They have a table of samples all set up for your tasting pleasure. I highly recommend their chocolate pretzels and mint dip. NOT TO BE MISSED!

The ladies at the checkout were very friendly and helpful. If you can't find what you're looking for, just ask them. That's what I did when I couldn't find a new ornament for my St Joseph collection.

They had the perfect ornament and it is now hanging on my tree. It's pure Michigan!

The Christmas Tree is open 7 days a week from now until Christmas. Their address is: 2675 Mizpah Park Road, Benton Harbor MI 49022. Phone: 269-849-3360. Website: http://www.christmastreegiftshop.com/

Head out to The Christmas Tree and find that special ornament for your tree and support the local economy while you're at it. Spread a little Christmas cheer locally this holiday season!

Comments